Geriatric Care Management is a new area of elder care that is filling a void for many of our clients. A Geriatric Care Manager is, in a sense, a “professional relative.” In other words, the GCM, once hired by the elder or family, acts as a care consultant.
Initially, a GCM may be asked to assess and evaluate an elder’s circumstances, providing recommendations for changes. A GCM may also be asked to oversee medical treatment, attend appointments with physicians and other providers. Some of the services provided by a GCM include:
- Evaluation and assessment of functional abilities and medical needs
- Review of and recommendations for living options including various local facilities
- Accompanying the elder to medical appointments and working with physicians for their best care
- Regular follow-up and reporting to out-of-town family members
- Timely re-evaluation, assessment and plan updating
A Geriatric Care Manager can be especially helpful when family members live too far away for regular involvement, when family members feel unable to make necessary decisions, or when other family or work commitments make daily caretaking impossible.
To discuss how a Geriatric Care Manager can help your family or loved one, please call our office at (207) 883-0095 or submit our contact form.